Ħal Qormi (Citta’ Pinto) is the largest town in the island and is situated between Wied is-Sewda and Wied il-Kbir, where one sea water flowed from Marsa which used to flood a large part of the place. Parts of this village are situated below sea level, between the hills of Ħamrun and Tas-Samra, of Żebbuġ and Santa Venera.Several rock cut tombs with human remains and pottery were found in various parts of Ħal Qormi. These remains dating from Phoenician-Punic times give evidence to a small community. If an inhabited area existed during Roman times in the place known today as Ħal Qormi, this could only be a small settlement.
The Byzantines followed the Romans but we know next to nothing about this period. The Arabs succeeded them, and left nothing of importance except surnames and names. We find Ħal Qormi documented in the late Middle Ages in the militia list of 1417 where guard posts were mentioned. Ħal Qormi residents used to guard in Mdina, St Julians, Sliema and where today we find St Elmo. A consdierable number of persons from Ħal Qormi during the late middle ages were peasants who worked in the fields near the village.